Chinny, Chin and Chin

This is our first blog so don't blame us if we don't know what we're doing.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Arachnophobia

For the past three weeks or so, every since Spring kicked into gear, we've had a spider problem. Not really surprising that we have spiders lurking and living somewhere, considering our house has been basically open to the environment for six months of the past year. Anyway, it was bad enough that it became a morning ritual for me. Wake up, wash up, get dressed, walk through all the upstairs rooms looking for spiders on the ceiling, then do the same on the first floor. If I found any, I'd get my tools (step stool, 10 foot pine board, and some tissue) and go to work. I only needed the board for when they hid in the top most corner of my staircase ceiling. How often were they up there? So much that I actually have a technique now where I can reach the board to the ceiling, extending over the staircase opening, tap them in a way that causes them to jump on to the board where I can bring them safely back to the landing and SQUASH them. Is this really a technique, you ask? Well, when I first started they would repel off the ceiling down the staircase and it would be a mad dash to chase them. I caught them in those cases too, but being the visionary that I am, I developed the Chin Board Hop technique. That's what I was planning on marketing it as - kind of like the Fosbury Flop.

Last week though we made a random trip the Christmas Tree Shop and found spider repellers from Black & Decker. $7 for a pack of four. We decided to give it a shot. Results are a bit inconclusive because of the recent deluge that we've been having, however since we installed them, NO SPIDERS any morning for four days in a row. This is unheard of in the recent month, so I have to believe these things work. The Chin Board Hop will have to wait its turn now that this exists. But if spider catching ever becomes and Olympic sport, look for the Chin Board Hop to compete for the Gold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home